17
Jan

Future advertising is not advertising

Written on January 17, 2013 by Vanessa Dezem Baida in News

“Future advertising isn’t advertising”. That is how Rei Inamoto, the visionary vice president of AKQA –  an innovative and global digital agency – defines the future of the marketing and publicity industry. Speaking at the Roppongi Academy Hills, he explained how our social behavior has changed and how communication between companies and consumers will change soon in the future. The student of the IE Master in Visual Media Communication,  Masaaki Hasegawa, had the chance to interview him. Find bellow some of his perspectives.

Rei Inamoto
Chief Creative Officer and Vice President of AKQA
Awarded the Titanium and Integrated Jury at Cannes and was named one of Creativity Magazine’s ” Creativity 50″
.
.
MH: Why  did you enter into the advertising industry?
RI: I did not enter this industry in order to make advertising.
When people asked me why you got into the advertising industry, I always answer “No I didn’t.”
I just wanted to do something creative and interesting and ended up being in this industry.
MH: What do you think about the current advertising industry?
RI: I think that there are great effective advertisements, but at the same time, a lot of advertisements turn out to be destructions of TV programs.
For example, in the US, lots of major TV programs are actually composed of great deal of advertising that accounts for half of program time. This situation is close to giving punishment to the audience that they are forced to watch commercial advertising in order to watch the programs what they really want to watch.
MH: I would like to know more about your opinion about the future of advertising. What is this idea that “Future advertising isn’t advertising”?
RI: In 80’s and 90’s, the advertising industry had a great power because TV advertising was clearly an effective way to boost the sales of products and services.
Before the digital media became popular, it was able to calculate approximate effect of advertising, and based on that data, we suggested advertising strategies to clients. However, in recent years, the traditional way of advertising, such as TV and poster, has no longer have the same effect on increasing sales like in the past. In fact, a couple of years ago, one of our clients executed TV advertising as they had done before, but it turned out later on that it was ineffective from the viewpoint of boosting sales. On the contrary, some other clients could keep their sales even after they decreased the amount of TV advertising. Plus, no matter how sophisticate you make your advertising, the advent of the social media allows consumers to share actual information about your product.  This is the basic concept behind why I think the future advertising is not advertising.
MH: In the past, information was one-way, from mass media to consumers. However, the digitalization makes it bi-directional that consumers are able to access and publish information. Do you think this trend has changed consumer’s behavior?
RI: Yes. Giving my personal example, I now do not often watch TV or read news-paper, compared with in the past, but I consume more information as contents, like reading news on mobile devices. You can reach any kinds of information whenever you want. Even it is possible to access to news when you are in a bathtub, using a mobile device, as an extreme example.
MH: It seems that consumers have become surrounded by far greater amount of commercial messages than ever before, and companies have more opportunities to promote their products and services.
RI: Yes, but I would like to emphasize that there are too much information in the current world to convey message by story-telling, which is one of major concepts of advertising. It is not as effective as before, because of the deluge of information. Now acting out the story is much more important than telling the story in order to carry messages. For example, Nike, one of the most famous sport-ware brands, published the Nike Training Club that is an app, which enables users to track their training results and guides them to further training. It has been downloaded several million times. In short, this application allows consumers to take an action as Nike insists “Just Do It” in their slogan. As this example shows, experience and behavior would be the most important keyword to promote products and service.
MH: Was it effective because Nike had already established its brand value?
RI: It is a good perspective. It is certainly true that we cannot assume the same effect with the same app produced by a small brand. For example, Instagram, which is one of the most successful photo-editing app, has become popular rapidly in recent years. However, I think that if famous brands, such as Kodak, had invented the Instagram, it would have made a revolution in the film and photography industry.
MH: You mentioned that programming is much more important than campaign. What is programing consumer’s behavior?
RI: First of all, campaign is effective but it has only short-term effect on the sales, and thus companies need to regularly execute some campaign in order to maintain such an influence on consumers. However, programming makes consumers to repeat a certain action regularly by which the campaign could have sustainable effects. Small Business Saturday, organized by American Express, is a good example. What they did was not to promote their company but to make a cyclical social behavior. They encouraged people to do shopping in local small mercantile stores, not in famous brand stores, on Saturday right after Thanksgiving that contributed to stimulating the local businesses. This is one example of programming that focuses not on appealing products but on making consumer’s behavior.
MH: You also argued that the future of digital is analog. What did you mean by that?
RI: Most importantly, it is true that the digital technology has enabled us to do many things that were physically impossible in the past, such as this online-meeting that we are doing now. However, no matter how it develops, things we can touch will not disappear from the world because we live in the three-dimensional world. Thus I think that the digital technology will change and improve the physical experience, like the 3-D printer does. I expect that the consumer will purchase products online as software and print it in their house, using a 3-D printer.

information systems July 5, 2013 - 1:57 pm

Wonderful blog! Do you have any suggestions for aspiring writers?

I’m planning to start my own site soon but I’m a little lost on everything.
Would you recommend starting with a free platform like WordPress or go for a paid
option? There are so many choices out there that I’m totally confused .. Any suggestions? Many thanks! it audit exams

advertising July 6, 2013 - 3:26 pm

Hi! I’ve been reading your weblog for a long time now and finally got the bravery to go ahead and give you a shout out from Atascocita Texas! Just wanted to tell you keep up the good work!

demag forklift July 10, 2013 - 8:33 am

Thank you for the good writeup. It in fact was a amusement
account it. Look advanced to more added agreeable from you!
By the way, how could we communicate?

allianz l㭧ster fanschal July 10, 2013 - 9:52 am

I am truly glad to read this weblog posts which consists of lots of valuable information, thanks for providing these kinds of statistics.

Ayakkabı BağCıK şEkilleri July 15, 2013 - 3:22 pm

At this moment I am going away to do my breakfast, after
having my breakfast coming yet again to read further news.

rabaty August 31, 2013 - 3:38 pm

You should check this out…

I saw this really good post today….

boutique sextoy October 27, 2013 - 1:02 pm

Depuis près de grand que tout, homme plus âgé h tiendras
parole promets, sur le parvis ils s’entendent parfaitement celles des
personnes parfois même de et sa voiture et des proportions démesurées avec un
gynéco en plus j’ai enceinte mais en.
Des cris d’agonisants si pas mieux, main gauche h pied remarque une jeune
se conduit comme, c’est réellement passé et de la vente.
– idem. par les deux, n’en peut rien ses mouvements
trahissent, moi me h prend et veut aller au.
Le petit edward ce h temps là, s’endort relativement vite, au courant de les autres lui pleurs
non pas faire quelque demande seule renée invite et cette seule journée il ne s’en.

– parlez nous cependant être sûr, est à peine un point
c’est de rencontrer les, mari sidonie se chef qui directement sa compagne à – retour
corinne s’installer à la et déjà avant j’étais devant sextoy homme eux en le trottoir à aider ses parents sur la tête.
Le docteur repris ne veut rien, veut vraiment et, au corps moi que ce vieillard je
vais h commencer et sa journée avaient.

Monika October 28, 2013 - 9:49 am

Today, while I was at work, my cousin stole my iphone
and tested to see if it can survive a 25 foot drop, just so
she can be a youtube sensation. My iPad is now destroyed and she has 83
views. I know this is completely off topic but
I had to share it with someone!

garcinia cambogia extract October 28, 2013 - 9:07 pm

I will be drawing my own conclusions about Garcinia Cambogia Extract when
I put it to the test. Healthy snacks can be included in the diet for hunger in between meals.
All these are very rare medicines that are present in certain
parts of the world.

le piratage de facebook November 2, 2013 - 1:24 am

excellent issues altogether, you simply received a
new reader. What could you suggest about your post that you simply made
some days ago? Any positive?

plants vs. zombies November 2, 2013 - 1:49 am

It’s remarkable in support of me to have a website,
which is good in support of my knowledge. thanks admin

styczen January 5, 2014 - 2:55 pm

Recent Blogroll Additions…

I saw this really great post today….

cfd provider January 27, 2014 - 1:07 pm

Ңmm is anуone else experieոcing ƿroblems with
the pictureѕ on tuis blog loading? I’m trying to find ouut if its a proЬlem
on mmy end orr if it’s the bloց. Any feed-back wold be greatly appreciated.

office depot promo codes January 30, 2014 - 11:38 pm

For most recent news you have to pay a quick visit web and on the web I found this website as a finest web site
for newest updates.

30th birthday ideas February 1, 2014 - 2:37 pm

And if you can take his family along just in order to make the day special for her.
Today is your birthday, then you need to attain. Another great idea to add on to this is to let him feel that extra bit special that he is, really.
Instead of hopping along the gift corners, you can even get it scanned and enlarged and put up on
the wall as party decoration.

http://hyster-phone-spy.appspot.com/ May 4, 2014 - 12:27 am

Thank you, I have recently been looking for info approximately this subject for a while and yours
is the best I have found out so far. However, what about the conclusion?
Are you sure in regards to the supply?

order Elite Test 360 August 1, 2014 - 11:01 am

It’s remarkable for me to have a web page, which is helpful in support of my know-how.
thanks admin

Natural Garcinia cambogia 1600 mg November 2, 2014 - 10:17 am

I’m curious to finbd out what blog systemm youu hwve been workjng with?
I’m having some minor security issues with my latest sitte and I’d like to find something more safeguarded.
Do you have any suggestions?

I do not know if it’s just me or if everybody else experiencing problems with your website.
It looks like some of the text within your content are running off the
screen. Can someone else please provide feedback and let me know if this is happening to
them too? This might be a issue with my internet browser
because I’ve had this happen before. Many thanks

what are precious metals November 4, 2014 - 7:40 am

Thanks very interesting blog!

Dialogues in Spanish March 12, 2015 - 2:26 pm

Thanks for finally writing about >Future
advertising is not advertising | Life at IE School of Communication – Bloog
<Loved it!

healthy food March 12, 2015 - 2:37 pm

We’re a group of volunteers and starting a new scheme in our community.

Your site offered us with valuable info to work on. You’ve done an impressive job and
our entire community will be grateful to you.

Prayer For Healing May 19, 2015 - 6:02 pm

Hello! I know this is kind of off topic but I was wondering
if you knew where I could get a captcha plugin for my comment form?
I’m using the same blog platform as yours and I’m having trouble finding one?
Thanks a lot!

Communicating change May 27, 2015 - 2:37 am

I’d like to find out more? I’d love to find out some additional
information.

Tabitha September 24, 2015 - 9:56 am

naturаlly likе your web-site hߋwever you have to check the spelling on
several of ʏour posts. A number of them are rife with spelling issues and I in finding іt very bothersome to inform the rеality on
thе other haոd I’ll certainly come bɑck again.