Making a system that works for you

Written on July 4, 2013 by Vanessa Dezem Baida in News

David Hughes is personal trainer and founder of Personal Trainer Madrid (www.personaltrainermadrid.com) and Muay Thai Madrid (www.muaythaimadrid.com). He moved to Madrid almost 10 years ago when he was still in his early 20’s. He has built a system that work for him that allows him to use his time in whatever way he wants. He can work when and how he pleases. He trains and has some classes of Thai boxing but it is because he just loves it. Masaaki Hasegawa, a student of Master in Visual Media Communication had a chance to explore the secrets of how he could get such dreamy work/life style.

MH: First of all, how can you describe yourself?

DH: Now, I describe myself part-trainer but mostly leader that is what I can describe myself as now. My role is to lead, to have the ideas, make the systems to be exactly where they need to be, keep the standards high and new ideas to drive business forward, and to implement those things. 

MH; You come to Madrid around 10 years ago?

DH: Yes, 10 years in August. I had 550 euros when I came here and rent was 500 euros so I did not have money for deposit. I needed to look for a job and I sent my CV everywhere and some of them contacted me and I got a job at a small English school. At that time, I introduced myself as a “trainer”, not a “teacher”. Even when I had no training clients; I would introduce myself as if I was already what I wanted to be and what I wanted to do. And I gradually got training clients and then referrals, and dropped the level of English teaching to 80%. It took 3-4 years until I was 100% training and 0% teaching English. You’ve got to be patient and you’ve got to work on your name and reputation. Never chase money and work to help the client achieve what they want.

MH: How did you get your gym?

DH: And then, I was looking for a space to have a gym and one guy was willing to sell his gym. He wanted 60,000 euros to take over the gym, and I only saved up 6,000 euros. And I went to speak with him and ask him why he wanted to sell it. At the same time he tried to sell his idea, I kept listening and asking “why do you want to get rid of it?”. It turned out that he hated the gym that he was stuck in the gym from 8am-11pm and it was not really making a consistent living and he even said “You are doing me a favor if you take over the gym from me”. I had a couple more meetings and eventually I got it for free. 

MH: What was the difficulty then?

DH: After my individual classes became fully booked, I hired one trainer, but my mistake then was I put the same load that I had on him. From 6am-11pm was normal for me at that time because I was motivated to run the business but for employee it is different. As a result, he left the job and I was forced to do again what he did then. And then I hired 2 another trainers and changed the way. One is for morning shift and the other is for night shift and switch every week. They work only for 4-5 hours a day that in turn I strongly demand them that the training is 100% perfect, no excuses, and full of energy. For them, they finish their job at 12pm if they have a morning shift. They got a great job and they love it. As a result, it decreased the working hours, increased the revenue, and skyrocketed their performance, because I could be more demanding about the quality of work. 

MH: What was the point to improve their performance?

DH: I said them “Don’t spread yourself 2 thin” that means don’t do too many things because the quality goes down. Concentrate 100% on the traiings and I will help the clients in the all the other things like nutrition etc. And also I said them ” do not work at home and I want you to be relaxed and enjoy your work and life”.  

MH: Let us know about your business philosophy more.

DH: Product, service, and performance come first, never chase money. I even turn away clients that I think it is not good for the environment that I provide. 99% gyms do not do that. I do not want to take money from a person who is not ready because they have low motivation and can miss the sessions. I want everyone in the gym doing amazing and super happy. What happens from that is that they tell the gym to their friends. If we got the happiest place for clients and happiest place for work, you can get happy client and staff and that way your business can only go up. The customers are people who make the gym so we do not take customers who would not be a good fit with the happy gym environment. So, build the product, build the service, and build the performance first. Philosophy is what finds you. 

MH: You have put emphasis on taking yourself out of the system. Tell us more about it. 

DH: If you cannot replace yourself, you do not own a business, you own a job. The first class service that we give the client would not be possible if it was a one-man show with just me. Everyone has to have a specific role and that is where the system comes in to place. People without guidance and systems are open to mistakes. But if you lay out the systems in place and if you have a clear tracking in your system, nothing can go wrong. For example, David Hughes training system, all the training sessions run from my original design of the training system which brings the best results, the trainers design every single one of their trainings built around the system. They have flexibility and they can do whatever they want in the training but it is built around the specific way of training to get the maximum result. Here is an interesting example of one of the systems. There is a specific 4 step process when we get a mail from customer asking  how much is the cost. First step is giving them an idea about the price. Second is making them fill out the questionnaire to see how to help them more. Where do you want to go, why this is important to you, where would you like to be in 6 month, what previous experience you have, and most important question is “Our gym is happy and positive place, I only accept positive and happy people. Please write an explanation about why should I let you into my gym. And third step is setting a meeting with them and I have a specific system what questions we need to ask them that allow us to reach the root of their problem and the exact result they are looking for, then if I think they are a good fit for us we let them in our gym and help them hit that goal 100%. You need to have a system to convert a lead into a client.

MH: Do you think everyone can adopt the concept of having a system to his or her business?

DH: Again, it depends on what do you want your business to do for you. I consider my one the best business model for me and my business. Everyone is happy and it is a fantastic way of living for me. For example, Frank Kern, one of the most famous Internet marketers, switched his job because he hated his clients. He was making millions but he hated his clients. He stopped and invented a new online business helping people and only accepting clients that were good for him also. It is not nice way to live that you need to run away when you see your clients on streets. All my clients are also my friends and when I meet them in the street we are always happy to see each other. That for me, is great!. It is true that not all business can adopt the same system that I am using as it depends upon their product and service, but everyone is able to set up specific systems to help their business run more efficiently and work for them as they want it to.

rabaty August 14, 2013 - 10:17 pm

Check this out…

Here are some of the sites we recommend for our visitors…

rabaty August 31, 2013 - 4:43 am

Recent Blogroll Additions…

I saw this really good post today….

rabaty August 31, 2013 - 10:58 pm

Great website…

affordable home gym October 28, 2013 - 1:18 pm

We’re a group of volunteers and opening a new scheme in our community.
Your site provided us with valuable info to work on.
You have done a formidable job and our whole community will be grateful to you.

http://metastaticpancreaticcancer.com October 28, 2013 - 1:23 pm

Despite breakthroughs in technology and constant studies, pancreatic
cancer continues to be among the most severe cancer diagnoses.
Regretfully as it is a real complicated illness to diagnose about 60% of patients
with pancreatic cancer have metastatic affliction at the time of diagnosis.
The typical survival in these sufferers is typically 6 calendar months.
That is why metastatic pancreatic cancer is frequently referred to as the silent

styczen January 5, 2014 - 12:50 am

Recent Blogroll Additions…

I saw this really great post today….

styczen January 5, 2014 - 4:23 pm

You should check this out…

I saw this really good post today….

Meredith May 2, 2014 - 10:29 am

For the record I reserve my right to keep my real world friends and a bunch of
the cute “I am spreading jelly on my navel, now” followers because I want
to. There’s plenty of newsletters out there being run by your average person, a hobbyist who is passionate about a topic, that will happily accept a small payment in exchange for putting my advertisement in
their Ezine. No doubt I’d be stopped by the police for dangerous

best choice for weight loss May 3, 2014 - 1:44 pm

Вy combining the hormone with a low calorie diet, Dr.
It has physicians and clinical staff available six days a wеek tto readily help HCG
dieters. Protein iis esseոtial to ensure proper muscle functioning and to heop the body lose weight.
Weight Loss Specialist Dealiոg With HCG Ɗiet
pгogram Plan. I noticeԁ one storе was carrying aո HСG

triple net lease calculator August 1, 2014 - 1:12 pm

Note, some clauses held within the agreement that require ‘the landlord’s consent’
are extended by law to say ‘which is not to be unreasonably witheld’, your
solicitor will be able to show you which clauses this applies
to. On the other hand, although technologies are badly needed, we need to remember
the human factor. Realtors the only ones legally allowed to list your home in an multiple listing service.

Boca Raton CPA firms August 1, 2014 - 9:36 pm

Deegan was arrested and charged with human trafficking and drug possession after cops
busted in and found the girls being held hostage. If you have received IRS tax
notice, you need not to be panic. I decided to use their OIC service to
lower my tax bill.

They break down fats easily and do not allow them to accumulate.

The supplement actively makes the proper utilization of nutrients in the body and makes it
more healthy and flexible. Remove the visible fat foods, choose lean cuts of red
meat and serve no more than twice a week, field pre-fry or beef in a
skillet dry with paper towels and tap to absorb fat.

John Rightman November 13, 2014 - 4:42 pm

I’d like to know if I can make a brief interview with you regarding fitness exercise mostly to lose weight.

You can contact me at my email or through my website

myntra customer care number May 27, 2015 - 11:10 am

To Indians living abroad, shopping online evolution features turned out
to be a good boon. To purchase Indian clothing on the internet
is a brand new development. E-commerce sector is humming with a large number of online stores that
provide a wide selection of Indian clothing and items
like developer sarees, kurti design, salwar kameez suits and Indian style precious jewelry.

Manner and luxury will be the two industries which may have created a niche for alone inside the e-commerce market.
Women can be a perfect shopaholics and so they
enjoy the notion of e-shopping, with only a click of a mouse.

Alluring discounts, joyful provides and profitable pricing create internet
searching a far more enjoyable activity. So that you can maintain their client base, these shopping online
internet sites hold offer different marketing tasks.

If you wish to select more about shopping online and wish to acquire more vouchers, discount codes and best
grants, please go to our very own internet site: myntra
customer care number

Whenever we pass the present research launched
from the marketing research and consultative company Technopak then your picture is a bit different.
It says that by the season 2023, the Indian Retail market is likely to have
actually market measurements of $865 billion, whenever since the on the web retailing is anticipated to own a
market measurements of $56 billion that is merely
6.5% of the complete markets proportions.

Many on-line stores in Asia need elevated a lump sum payment sum of money while they received resources from numerous overseas buyers.
Nevertheless the inside picture is very different while the opportunities carried out
by overseas providers is shady. Just last year, the Enforcement
Directorate analyzed the products of a leading online retail store in Asia
and found on that the firm had actually flouted few norms.
According to the Indian statutes, online stores can bring in foreign resources
for investments in the event of businesses to companies transactions however
in case of businesses to buyers.

Indian jewellery is recognized for the exquisite design. They represent brilliance and excellence.
Indian background try rich and every webpage of background reflects the deep want that Indians bring for accessories.

The assorted community that the nation nurtures has included variety jewelry styles.
This adds to the experience of buying Indian precious jewelry using the internet.
No matter what your own clothing, there are certainly jewellery
designs to combine with it and increase its charm.

Getting Indian jewelry on the net is gaining interest compared to previous decades.
The obvious reason behind the recognition is the fact that Web is a straightforward moderate accessible to
all now. The larger achieve supplied through the
Internet is working to a fantastic advantage for purchasers and
vendors alike. When you have usually wanted having a piece of Indian jewelry, the world wide web makes it an actuality by diminishing the planet.
Additionally, sites were made better when compared with earlier hours.
This reduces the risk of financial suggestions becoming jeopardized.
This aspect features encouraged folks from various areas of the planet to get accessories online
with confidence.

Web cash July 22, 2015 - 12:19 pm

Excellent goods from you, man. I have understand your stuff previous to and you are just extremely great.
I really like what you’ve acquired here, really like what you’re saying and the way in which you say it.
You make it enjoyable and you still care for to keep it smart.
I can’t wait to read far more from you. This is really a wonderful web site.

ifirmation July 24, 2015 - 4:07 am

Thanks for some other fantastic post. The place else could
anyone get that type of information in such a perfect manner of writing?
I have a presentation subsequent week, and I’m on the look for such

keepthedoctoraway.co.uk July 24, 2015 - 5:48 am

Hey there, I think your site might be having browser compatibility issues.
When I look at your blog in Opera, it looks fine buut when opening
inn Internet Explorer, it has some overlapping. I jus wanted
to give you a quick heads up! Other then that, wonderful blog!

Hey very nice blog!

unblocked by google July 28, 2015 - 2:45 am

Hey! Quick question that’s completely off topic.

Do you know how to make your site mobile friendly?
My website looks weird when browsing from my iphone4. I’m
trying to find a theme or plugin that might be able to resolve this issue.
If you have any recommendations, please share. Many thanks!