7
Jan

Revolution will be run by women

Written on January 7, 2015 by Vanessa Dezem Baida in News

Joanne Wilson is the co-founder of the Womens Entrepreneur Festival and Gotham Gal. She is also well-known for her investments in female entrepreneurs. She has invested in lots of companies such as Taxi Treats, Blue Bottle Coffee Company, DailyWorth, and Nestio. She shares with us her core philosophy and very honest thoughts about the life.

joanne_wilson-HR-8059

1. Please briefly explain yourself for those who are not familiar with you. 

JW: Joanne Wilson.  I have been blogging under the name Gotham Gal over the past ten years about technology, parenting, food, culture, investments and anything else that interests me.  I am the co-founder of the Womens Entrepreneur Festival that is put on every January with the ITP department of NYU celebrating women entrepreneurs.  I have been doing early stage investing in start-up companies for the past 8 years and 70% of the 70 companies that I have invested in to date are led by women entrepreneurs.

2. The organizations you have managed, worked with, and invested in seem to be driven by missions. What is the mission statement regarding with your life?

JW: I have had my fingers in so many different things over the course of my life.  Supporting women has been top of the list over the past decade.  If we really believe that the Internet was going to change the playing field then let’s figure out how all the start-up companies create a gender-balanced company from the get go and that they support both women and men having families.

3. What is your definition of success and what is the most important thing in your life?

JW: Having spent my life with my best friend, marrying him and building a life together with three fantastic kids is what I define as my success.  It is the driving force behind me.

4. In some interview, you showed a positive opinion towards making mistakes. How do you normally deal with failures?  How can people learn from their mistakes?

JW: Billy Jean King said that failures are feedback.  That is brilliant.  If you don’t make mistakes then you can’t learn from them.  Learning from a mistake can make you smarter the next time around.

5. Can you explain in simple terms what “investment” is for those readers who are not familiar?

JW: I give capital (money) to people who have young businesses.  When I give them money that also comes along with advice and help.  I hope that when I give someone money, let’s say for their lemonade stand so they can buy the lemons, the sugar and the stand that they can use that money to build lots of other lemonade stands and maybe be able to sell cookies too.

6. You have rich experience and eminent knowledge in what you do now. If you re-start everything from scratch with the knowledge and experience you currently have, what would be the first step you would take?

JW: The experience and knowledge comes from educating myself.  If I had to start from scratch to learn everything over again I would probably do the same thing.  Get involved in a small company or start my own.

7. If today were the last day in your life, what you would do today?

JW: Spend it with my family somewhere beautiful and warm with a wonderful meal, lots of wine and great music playing in the background.

8. If you can leave one message to the next generation to make the world better, what would you say?

JW: Use technology to make the world safer and environmentally sound.  Each generation fixes what the last generation screwed up.  There is a lot to fix from the food supply to global warming to terrorism directly linked to anger and lack of education.

9. Do you have some favorite product/service, app/web, and place/venues to recommend others?

JW: I am always looking for something new.  I have been like that for as long as I can remember.

©Masaaki Hasegawa

boom beach hack February 2, 2015 - 4:38 pm

I loved as much as you will receive carried out right here.
The sketch is tasteful, your authored material stylish. nonetheless, you command get
got an nervousness over that you wish be delivering the following.
unwell unquestionably come further formerly again as exactly the
same nearly a lot often inside case you shield this increase.

dancy-jam.net February 4, 2015 - 11:22 pm

Thereby, this method helps in giving results which are sustainable for long time periods.
It decreases your metabolic rate and diminishes your ability to do physical activities.
They also said that diets just create more problems for people than they
actually solve.

[…] on life in a recent interview conducted by the IE School of Communication, posted on their blog here. We enjoyed reading her perspectives and opinions so much, we thought we’d share the interview […]

spécialiste March 12, 2015 - 5:56 pm

Merci pour votre article qui m’aide à y voir plus claire.

en cliquant May 18, 2015 - 9:54 pm

Merci pour vos fabuleux articles plein de finesse !

reussir May 19, 2015 - 7:37 pm

Merci pour vos fabuleux articles plein d’intelligence
!

aller sur le lien May 19, 2015 - 11:20 pm

Hello ! j’ai découvert votre blog en fouillant sur Google et vraiment merci les informations sont très intéressantes.

Kirk July 25, 2015 - 9:21 pm

Los medicos han estado dandome diferentes tratamientos durante este
tiempo, tal y como si fuera un conejillo de indias.