29
Jan

Creative Community

Written on January 29, 2015 by Vanessa Dezem Baida in News

To a greater or lesser extent, we have experienced some creations. As you grow up, you stop creating something for fear of being judged by others. What would have happened if you had had kept creating things? Jake Nickell is the Founder and CEO of Threadless, which is a creative community that makes, supports, and buys great art. He shares us the essence of creation.

jake_hires

For those who are not familiar with you, please let us know more about you. You have learnt art and computer science. For you, creation may have been part of your life. What was the spark to found Threadless?

JN: Threadless started as a hobby while I was working a full time job as a web developer and going to art school part time. I first started the company as a thread on an online forum called Dreamless. At the time it was a small community of about 300 artists from all around the world. I simply asked people to post up designs into the thread and then made t-shirts and posters out of the best ones. Eventually it turned into Threadless.com. That was 15 years ago.

What did you do on Day 1 to embody your idea of Threadless and to make it happen?

JN: On day one, I promised the artists in the forum that I would make things out of the best designs. I didn’t know how to print t-shirts, charge credit cards, ship orders, etc, and figured that out as I went. I think that’s still a big part of Threadless today. We have a very DIY culture here and believe we can do anything we put our minds to!

What was the most challenging thing in the beginning and how did you overcome it?

JN: The most challenging thing for me was managing money. I like to focus on building great products, both physically and on the computer with our website. When it comes to accounting and legal and running a business, I had a lot to learn. The best way I’ve found to overcome it is to find great people to work with who are good at those things :) In the beginning my wife helped out a lot and now I have a lot of coworkers who are really talented at the things I’m not so talented at.

threadless

If you had had the same amount of knowledge and experience at the beginning, what would you have done differently?

JN: I would have probably leveraged more third parties to do things that aren’t things we specialize in. For example, I’d use existing e-commerce and order fulfillment platforms rather than building our own from scratch.

How does your experience in art help you manage a company today? How does your experience in business help your creation?

JN: I consider myself more of a designer than an artist and I think the concepts in design and layout help out with managing a company. Design is about solving problems and setting up a system for something to happen within. On the business side, I really enjoy being able to prototype and build my ideas myself. I think it’s important to be able to understand how it all comes together.

Artists are not always the best salespeople. What are important things for artists to remember to get opportunities and exposures?

JN: Let the world react to the things you make. You never know what’s going to happen. Don’t just let your work sit in the garage, get it out there and show people!

Creative geniuses come up with more and more ideas every day. However, most of the ideas never get realised. What are differences between ideas with a huge success and those with, not do you think?

JN: Well, the first thing is that ideas that aren’t executed on are never going to be successful. So start taking your idea to paper as soon as you can. From there, I find that starting on something is also an easy way to know if maybe it’s a bad idea. So you can stop thinking about it sooner.

All the resources on the earth are available to you, what would you like to create?

I would like to create a camp for kids where the first week they spend doing something fun and exciting like rock climbing, mountain biking, or whitewater rafting. The whole time they do that they would be documenting the trip, taking photos & videos, keeping a journal. Then the second week of the camp they learn how to make a website, edit a video, etc about the trip they just went on. I think it’d be the perfect way to teach a kid how to code or edit photos, to do so because they are making it for the amazing trip they just went on.

If you can make a call to 20-year-old Jake Nickell, what kind of advices you would give to him?

JN: I think I’d have more questions than answers. I think I could probably learn a lot from 20-year-old me… It seems as people get older their experiences lead them to taking less risks and putting up walls.

If you can leave one message to make the world better, what would be your message?

JN: Make friends and then make things with your friends.

©Masaaki Hasegawa

fort Lauderdale Internet marketing February 4, 2015 - 1:58 am

Banner ads typically include graphics and text which entice Internet users
to click on the advertisement. You can know all the ins and outs of business and can run a restaurant without fail; but would
you know the first thing about installing
the kitchen grills. Clients do not look no matter whether you’ve a small or big budgeted communication service.

bacaselengkapnya February 4, 2015 - 10:11 pm

By implies of these world-wide-web web sites, individuals are
going to be inside a situation to obtain immediate streaming video clips of a couple of
with the most typical motion pictures even with out getting downloading them
within the personal pc. When Roy’s filial-like minion Josh Rosenthal (David Schwimmer) angers rival mob families by robbing and taking out drug couriers during an exchange,
Roy comes under pressure from their mediator Leo Marks (Robert Davi).

They marry, and Whitney announced she was pregnant
with Bobbi Christina.